As a Christmas gift for my mother-in-law I made her this quilt. I used this <a href=" http://www.ttfabrics.com/cgi-bin/fabricshop/patterns.cgi?patternID=261"> free pattern </a> and fabrics from my stash in her favorite colors.
The quilt top came together quickly but the quilting gave me a pretty hard time. I started quilting with a dark purple thread. I realized about halfway through that it was just too dark and heavy for the quilt. It took way more hours to tear out all of the stitches than I thought it would.
Then I went to a LQS and got a lighter purple 40 wt thread that I thought would be good as it wouldnt "weigh down" the quilt so much. It looked great but the combination of the quilt/my machine/the thread just did not work. The thread kept breaking every few inches. I finally settled on a light purple Coats cotton thread and was able to get this quilted in time for Christmas.
Because of all of the lost time I had to do the binding by machine, although I really wish I would've had time to do it by hand.